EXERCISE | Keep your body active
Physical activity is any activity that moves your body and increases the amount of energy you use. Regular activity makes you stronger, improves your balance and helps prevent falls.
- Ask your doctor, physiotherapist or health care provider about the best type of exercise program for you.
- Do at least 30 minutes of activity every day. You can break this into three sessions that last 10 minutes.
- Try all three kinds of physical activity:
- Strength and balance exercises, such as lifting light weights, stair climbing, tai chi.
- Endurance exercises, such as walking and dancing.
- Flexibility exercises, such as tai chi, stretching and yoga.
- Choose activities you enjoy!
Tell your doctor or healthcare provider if you have had a fall.
We’ve collected some great resources to help you exercise at home, as well as tools to help you find exercise classes focused on increasing balance and mobility, and decreasing falls. A physiotherapist can help design a simple program you can do on your own to help keep you moving, and does not require a doctor’s referral.
EXERCISE HELP | Find a physiotherapist
To find a physiotherapist near you, who can help you with developing a simple personalized program of realistic exercises you can work on. To find Physiotherapist in BC use this tool at the Physiotherapy Association of BC website.
EXERCISE INSTRUCTIONS | Printable Handout
*click on the image below to download instructions in the language you want. Exercises and instructions can be printed on 8.5×11 paper, and are available in English, Chinese, Persian/Farsi and Punjabi.
EXERCISE VIDEOS | SAIL Home Activity Program
Videos are shown in multiple languages, including: English, Farsi, Chinese and Punjabi.
CLICK HERE TO ACCESS ALL VIDEOS IN THE SAIL HOME ACTIVITY PROGRAM. The exercise videos will open in a new window.
EXERCISE VIDEOS | Tai Chi
EXERCISE | Classes