HOME SAFETY | Make your home safer
En français? Cliquez ici.
The home is the most common place for older adults to fall.
There are a number of simple and inexpensive changes you can make to your home to reduce the risk of falling.
Top eight things you can do:
- Clear clutter from walkways and stairs.
- Install handrails on both sides of stairs.
- Keep walkways, steps and handrails in good repair.
- Remove carpets or rugs that present a tripping hazard.
- Use only non-slip rugs on the kitchen and bathroom floor, and non-skid mats, decals or abrasive strips in the bathtub and shower.
- Install nightlights in the bedroom, bathroom and hallways.
- Take the Home Safety Challenge.
- Learn eight ways to modify your daily activities so that you can reduce the risks of falling in your home.